Explore tutors

1806 questions found on English Vocabulary

PreplyHomeEnglish

1,806 questions found with subject English

Best answer from our tutor

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Chan

rain cats and dogs

Raining cats and dogs is an English idiom which means it’s raining extremely heavily.

Check here: https://preply.com/en/question/raining-cats-and-dogs

Best Regards

The answer is:

James
James
0likes
4answers
0 people liked this question

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi James The common abbreviation for INITIAL is INIT
Short words are especially difficult to abbreviate (further shorten what’s already short!) For more information on ABBREVIATIONS, check here: https://preply.com/en/question/acronym-of-acronym https://preply.com/en/question/abbreviation-for-four-times-a-day https://www.allacronyms.com/
Best Regards

The answer is:

Troye Kaizhuo
Troye Kaizhuo
1likes
4answers

How to use "whereby" in a sentence?

How is it differently or similarly used when it means "by which" "through which"? Can whereby lead a...

1 person liked this question

name
English Tutor
Tutor

Hi Troye,

'Whereby' is an adverb which is indeed similar to 'by which'. Yes, it can be used as an attributive clause, example:

• A system, whereby, people could vote by telephone.

It leads to a description or an attribute of the object of the sentence.

I hope this helps, and if you would like to learn more grammar specific topics, whereby, improving your English language foundation, here is my profile link to book lessons with me.

preply.com/en/tutor/2063863

Have a great! Idara

The answer is:

Tanveer
Tanveer
0likes
6answers

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Hi Tanveer Would you like to make your question clearer? Help the Tutors to understand your request then they can help you. What cab driver are you referring to? Best Regards

The answer is:

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Hi Uncensored means not having any part deleted or suppressed The producers say the show is uncensored. For the moment, the messages continue to flow, uncensored. To celebrate, there is now an uncensored director's cut. They all attend public schools and have nearly uncensored access to television. The peddler sells pirated DVDs, some of which are even uncensored movies. Best Regards

The answer is:

Troye Kaizhuo
Troye Kaizhuo
1likes
1answers

"notwithstanding"

Is "notwithstanding" a common adverb or preposition that signifies an adversative relation or other ...

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Hi Troye Kaizhuo These adverbs can often be used interchangeably without changing the meaning.

I still enjoyed the week despite the weather. I still enjoyed the week in spite of the weather. I still enjoyed the week notwithstanding the weather. They went ahead despite public opposition. They went ahead in spite of public opposition. They went ahead, public opposition notwithstanding. Notwithstanding his nervousness, the young man excelled Despite his nervousness, the young man excelled In spite of his nervousness, the young man excelled

Notwithstanding is an adverb meaning despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession). Some of its synonyms are: all the same, even so, however, nevertheless, nonetheless, still, yet, regardless of.

Notwithstanding can also serve as a conjunction, where it means “although,” or “in spite of.” Notwithstanding as a preposition means "in spite of", although, nevertheless; without being opposed or prevented by:

He still went home, notwithstanding the midnight. The marriage took place notwithstanding his objections. They went ahead, public opposition notwithstanding. She is cheerful in spite of his illness. I like her in spite of her failings. In spite of my efforts, the boy remained passive. She looked lovely, despite her strange apparel. Despite official denials, the rumors still persist. I was sweating a lot despite the air-conditioning.

Best Regards

The answer is:

Sirgrady KC
Sirgrady KC
0likes
5answers

Livia
Livia
English Tutor
Certified (with Distinction) English Tutor, with 5 years experience

Hello Sirgrady KC

If something is finished quickly or on time, then it's been done in a TIMELY MANNER, OR being timely can also mean being well-timed or doing something at the most appropriate moment, ie: in good time, when expected.

Example: We will endeavor to fulfill the itinerary of your upcoming trip in a timely manner.

Warm Regards Livia

The answer is:

Subhrasankar
Subhrasankar
0likes
2answers

"Glued in" is this correct?

Can I write a poetic sentence like " The car is glued in the sand"?

James
James
English Tutor
English Tutor | Native and 32 Years in US

Hello Subhrasankar,

It is nice you are trying to use metaphors! Glue in isn't a common term and seems less commonly accepted. You could use another word although we understand your point. What comes to mind are:

"The car is stuck in the sand" "The car is buried in the sand" "The car is sticking out of the sand"

James

The answer is:

Subhrasankar
Subhrasankar
0likes
3answers

"Glued in" is this correct?

Can I write a poetic sentence like " The car is glued in the sand"?

Debbie
Debbie
English Tutor
IELTS EXAMINER for 7 years & 11 years teaching English online.

Hi.

This is a typical sample of what we refer to as colloquial language (used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary.) We have a similar saying, it's stuck like glue'.

Debbie

The answer is:

Troye Kaizhuo
Troye Kaizhuo
1likes
2answers

"have something done" "must have done something" "should have done"

What are the negative forms of "have something done" "must have done something" and "should have don...

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Hi "haven’t done something " – Not done it, not done it yet, didn’t do it "mustn't have something done" – Don’t have it done, No choice "mustn't have done something" – should not have done it – No choice "shouldn’t have done" – Regret having done it, was a mistake, but also kind of optional You shouldn't have done it without consulting me.

Best Regards

The answer is:

Still looking for help?

Try an expert online tutor. 1-on-1 lessons for every budget.

Tutor avatar
Tutor Avatar
Tutor country flag
English
$
per hour
15,495 lessons
Speaks:EnglishNative+5
Advanced TESOL Instructor with 12 years Teaching Experience, Midwestern American Accent and Pronunciation + Certified English / Spanish Medical Interpreter My over 150 reviews speak for themselves, but if you really want to take your English to the next level and are serious about cutting back on mistakes, and improving naturalness and efficiency, I am your guy! How will I help you? By Energizing Your English! My TESOL Certification Specializing in ...
$
per hour
Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

Community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online