Nicole
0likes
7answers
0 people liked this question

Best answer from our tutor

Sanela
Sanela
English Tutor
Certified tutor - teaching English for children. 2 years of experience.

Hey, You say: "My parents divorce".

The answer is:

Roman
Roman
0likes
3answers

Ability or action?

How to separate concepts using adjective: - the man who is walking -- walking man; - the man who can...

name
English Tutor
Tutor

Hi Roman!

Your last sentence, "the man who can walk", indicates ability through the word, "can". Can means the ability to do something, e.g. I can dance, I can whistle, etc.

Your other sentences indicate action because of the verb. For example, "the man who is walking", tells us that the man **IS ** (verb) is performing an action. "Walking man" takes a similar principle. It uses the present continuous form of the the verb, 'walk', which indicates that an action (verb), that is, walking, is being performed.

So, basically, if you see "can", it's likely talking about ability and if you see a verb and there is no "can" in the sentence, we're talking about an action.

Hope this helps! 😃

Miss Maria

The answer is:

Roman
Roman
0likes
2answers

Ability or action?

How to separate concepts using adjective: - the man who is walking -- walking man; - the man who can...

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Roman the man who is walking – action walking man – action the man who can walk – ability Best Regards

The answer is:

Niky
Niky
0likes
3answers

Which one is right?

a. The fact that tourists feel safe in one neighborhood but not in another probably depends on their...

Debbie
Debbie
English Tutor
IELTS EXAMINER for 7 years & 11 years teaching English online.

There is no difference between 'depend' and 'depends'. It's just the subject-verb agreement.

It means, if the subject is singular, the verb shall be plural and vice-versa.

Debbie

The answer is:

Nicah Nichole
Nicah Nichole
0likes
2answers

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Nicah Nichole
The word series is both singular and plural. It can be used as a singular or as a plural, depending on the context, and pronounced identically.

I watched the series last year A series of earthquakes hit the region

Best Regards

The answer is:

Marina
Marina
1likes
2answers

Is it possible to say 'Firsts' meaning plural for 'first group of people'?

The example is the next. 'There are people who look for their own way of living a life. And there ar...

1 person liked this question

Paul
Paul
English Tutor
English teacher for 30+ years

Hello, Marina. While this is not a customary use, I am guessing the writer has created a new meaning for his/her own purposes, possibly based on the concept of indigenous "first peoples" of various cultures. I would be curious about the context of the statement. Best wishes, Paul L.

The answer is:

Akash
Akash
0likes
2answers

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Glasses, fans, oxen

The answer is:

karthika
karthika
0likes
3answers

Tapiwa
Tapiwa
English Tutor
TEFL and TESOL Certified. Business, conversational, travel, and academic English

Hi there!

The plural for radius is radii or radiuses.

Best regards

The answer is:

Murnie
Murnie
0likes
4answers

Tapiwa
Tapiwa
English Tutor
TEFL and TESOL Certified. Business, conversational, travel, and academic English

Hi there, Murnie!

The plural of chicken is chickens.

Best regards

The answer is:

Dennish
Dennish
0likes
2answers

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Hi Dennish In English there is a small group of nouns that exist only in the plural form. They are "plural-only nouns" and do not exist in the singular form. We use plural verbs and plural pronouns with them.

“Trousers” is one of them.
Others are: clothes, pants, scissors, shorts, thanks We say some trousers or a pair of trousers. We say a "pair of" or "pairs of" to quantify them

The dog snapped at my trousers. His new trousers ripped when he bent down. Mother bought me a pair of trousers. Her trousers have patches all over them.

Best Regards

The answer is:

Still looking for help?

Try an expert online tutor. 1-on-1 lessons for every budget.

Tutor avatar
Tutor Avatar
Tutor country flag
English
$
per hour
15,643 lessons
Speaks:EnglishNative+5
Advanced TESOL Instructor with 12 years Teaching Experience, Midwestern American Accent and Pronunciation + Certified English / Spanish Medical Interpreter My over 150 reviews speak for themselves, but if you really want to take your English to the next level and are serious about cutting back on mistakes, and improving naturalness and efficiency, I am your guy! How will I help you? By Energizing Your English! My TESOL Certification Specializing in ...
$
per hour
Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

Community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online