PreplyHomeEnglishBusiness emails
Jia Qing
Jia Qing

Business emails

Hi, is it correct to say "I will send you a meeting invite" or "I will send you a meeting invitation" at the workplace? I usually hear the former but I don't know if that's correct.

2 people liked this question

2 Answers

2 from verified tutors
Oldest first

name
English Tutor
Certified tutor with 4yr. experience

Hi Jia

"I will send you a meeting invitation" would be the correct way of saying it. " I will send you a meeting invite" is grammatically incorrect. Invite is a verb and invitation is the noun. However, it seems to be used as a noun all the time a;though it not correct English It definitely should not be used in written English.

The answer is:

Ayelet
Ayelet

Is it grammatically OK to write I've sent you an invitation for a meeting on _[Day]

name
English Tutor
Certified tutor with 4yr. experience

Hi Yes it is correct.

name

I am so tired of people saying "Invite" instead of "invitation" in the corporate world. I always remember it was "Invitation" for the last many years that I have been working and now suddenly I hear people say - "Invite". Eyes roll !

OF2
OF2

ผมมาขอรับบริจาก เงิน $1000ไว้ใช้ซื้อนมให้ลูกชายผมไม่มีเงินซื้อ ผมไม่รู้ว่าส่งมาได้ป่าวนะมาที่ธนาคารไทยพาณิชน์บัญชีออมทรัพย์เลข บัญชี 1564244702 กรุงเทพฯประเทศไทย🙏🙏🙏ซื่อ บัญชา เข็มทอง

Placement test

Find out your English level.

Take this 5-min test to see how close you are to achieving your language learning goals.

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Invite is a verb while invitation is the noun. Invite, although its use is prevalent, is a colloquial and therefore an informal form of invitation. Its use is cited as having begun circa mid 1600s. Lately, its use is promoted on the internet. Invitation is the acceptable noun in formal contexts.

The answer is:

name

I am so tired of people saying "Invite" instead of "invitation" in the corporate world. I always remember it was "Invitation" for the last many years that I have been working and now suddenly I hear people say - "Invite". Eyes roll !

Allan
Allan

Cleary you don't work in corporate. Invite is totally acceptable and super common.

Allan
Allan

***Clearly

Still need help?

Find an online tutor for 1-on-1 lessons and master the knowledge you need! Prices from just $5 per hour.

Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

English community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online