• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

IELTS Task 2 - A sense of competition in children should be encouraged

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

irfan334590

Dec 23, 2020
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.

Write about the following topic:

Some people think that a sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to co-operate rather than compete become more useful adults.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

You should write at least 250 words.

Children's education is crucial for parents. A few people believe that a sense of competition is important for children to excel in their lives, and it should be encouraged. On the other hand, a multitude of individuals contradict this argument and think a competitional sense has a far more negative impact on children's upbringing, therefore, they should be taught teamwork and cooperation with each other, rather than competition. In this essay, I will discuss both of these views as well as give my perspective.

Every year several types of exams are conducted and develop a sense of competition among children. A student who performs well in exams is appreciated by the family as well as by society, and declare him intelligent, while the student who fails is considered dull. Parents never want their children to be called dull and reluctantly they start to give examples of their friends and classmate. Students are taught life is like a race, whoever reaches to rope first is the winner while others are losers, for instance, in an Indian movie "3-Idiot" this ideology has been presented very well.

To contrast with the first argument, a group of individuals argue that we should encourage a sense of teamwork instead of competitions because children who are taught how to cooperate with their friends and teammates become more useful adults. Once they begin to believe in the idea of "united we stand divided we fall ", they will unstoppable and complete their task faster than others. This group will look at other people with a sense of strength instead of competitors and the working environment will be friendly and more productive.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that a sense of cooperation is very important for the upbringing of children. Students who collaborate, learn more and become more confident.

Last edited by a moderator:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Children's education is crucial for parents. A few people believe that a sense of competition is important for children to excel in their lives, and it should be encouraged. On the other hand, a multitude of individuals contradict this argument and think a competitional sense has a far more negative impact on children's upbringing, therefore, they should be taught teamwork and cooperation with each other, rather than competition. In this essay, I will discuss both of these views as well as give my perspective.

Every year several types of exams are conducted and develop a sense of competition among children. A student who performs well in exams is appreciated by the family as well as by society, and declares them him intelligent, while the student who fails is considered dull (dull doesn't really fit here. You need to say something like "unintelligent"). Parents never want their children to be called dull and reluctantly they start to give examples of their friends and classmate. Students are taught life is like a race, whoever reaches to rope the finishing line first is the winner while the others are losers, for instance, in an Indian movie "3-Idiot" this ideology has been presented very well.

To contrast with the first argument, a group of individuals argue that we should encourage a sense of teamwork instead of competitions because children who are taught how to cooperate with their friends and teammates become more useful adults. Once they begin to believe in the idea of "united we stand divided we fall ", they will be unstoppable and complete their task faster than others. This group will look at other people with a sense of strength instead of competitors and the working environment will be friendly and more productive.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that a sense of cooperation is very important for the upbringing of children. Students who collaborate, learn more, and become more confident.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
I don't particularly like how you are using the phrase "a multitude of people". I don't think this is something people would ordinarily write.

I understand you probably don't want to keep saying "Many people" so may I suggest some other phrases:

"It is widely believed..."

"It is generally considered"

"It is commonly believed"