• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

IELTS Writing Task-2 - governments should spend money on building theatres and sport stadiums

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

Israfil Sikder

Feb 22, 2021
Topic- Some people say that government should not put money on building theatres and sport stadium. They should spend more money on healthcare and education. Do you agree or disagree ?

In this modern era, it is undeniable that education and healthcare are essential for our life. Therefore some people think that the government should spend money on healthcare and education rather than theatres and sports stadiums. While this approach can be proved beneficial up to some extent, I disagree with the given statement.

On the one hand, there is numerous reason why the government should devote equal money to the entertainments sector, the first and foremost is that entertainment is also a basic human need even entertainment sectors encourage creativity and promotes harmony in society one tangible example, people learn about their history, tradition and culture through movies, songs and painting made by the artists. So, artists are the ambassadors of culture and play a vital role in elevating the level of civilization of the country. Secondly, without government funding, some sports and entertainment theatre would not be able to work. For instance, most of the stadiums and theatres depend on government funds because there is no visible source of income, therefore most of the entertainment sector depends on government aid.

Furthermore, sports stadiums attract millions of spectators to watch matches every year. Many more millions watch games on television, read about them in the newspaper and discuss them with their friends. Consequently, we can not say these are unnecessary expenditures and therefore government not ignore them.

On the other hand, it often believes that the government should allocate more sense to the education and the healthcare sector. Admittedly, I will agree with the given statement generally in the unprivileged country, where the people's first priority to get food and basic necessities. I believe that in these places the government should focus more on healthcare and education compare to entertainment.

In conclusion, while medicine and education are needs that we recognize, theatrical or sports events are also basic needs. Therefore the government should allocate resources for both these things.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
In this modern era, it is undeniable that education and healthcare are essential for our life. Therefore some people think that the government should spend money on healthcare and education rather than theatres and sports stadiums. While this approach can be proven beneficial up to some extent, I disagree with the given statement.(1)

On the one hand, there is are numerous reasons why the government should devote equal money to the entertainments sector, the first and foremost is that entertainment is also a basic human need, even entertainment sectors encourage creativity and promotes harmony in society. For example, people learn about their history, traditions and culture through movies, songs and paintings made by the artists. So, artists are the ambassadors of culture and play a vital role in elevating the level of civilization of the in a country. Secondly, without government funding, some sports and entertainment theatres would not be able to work operate. For instance, most of the stadiums and theatres depend on government funds because there is no visible source of income(2), therefore most of the entertainment sector depends on government aid.

Furthermore, sports stadiums attract millions of spectators to watch matches every year. Many more millions watch games on television, read about them in the newspaper and discuss them with their friends. Consequently, we can not say these are unnecessary expenditures and therefore government not ignore them.

On the other hand, it often believes that the government should allocate more sense(3) to the education and the healthcare sector. Admittedly, I will agree with the given statement generally in the unprivileged countries, where the people's first priority to get food and basic necessities. I believe that in these places the government should focus more on healthcare and education compared to entertainment.

In conclusion, while medicine and education are needs that we recognize, theatrical or sports events are also basic needs. Therefore the government should allocate resources for both of these things.

Feedback

(1) Be careful using prepared/memorized sentences. There is no "approach" so to speak in the topic, so the examiner will see that this is a memorized phrase.

(2) How about ticket sales from sporting events, plays and concerts?

(3) I am not sure what you mean by 'sense'? Funds maybe?