• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Ielts Writing Task -2

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

Pritam21

Jan 8, 2021
India
Government investment in the arts, such as music and theatre, is a waste of money. Governments must invest this money in public services instead.

To what extent do you agree with this statement?

There has been much discussion revolving around the decision of Government money investment in arts and public services. Although, I agree that it is important to spend money on public services, I do not think spending on the arts is a waste of money.

The merits of public services and people who are getting benefits are apparent. Firstly, public services like Hospitals, education, roads are key to everyone life in this day and age. This is mainly due to fact that middle/poor class people are mainly depend on public services. If, Government does investment in public services than we will not get proper service from related sectors. As for common men there are some basic needs which they are not able to fulfill such as food, home, cloths. So, basically if Government spend money on basic entities that will not only create jobs but, it will make people life easier, and they can get home and enough food to survive. For example, average men can get basic medical treatment free or at minimum cost from Government Hospitals as compare to private Hospitals. They don't have to travel to another city for basic facilities.

In contrast, some others may claim that arts, such as music and theatre are play vital role in country development. Apparently, It creates opportunities for jobless and represent the history of any country. However, in modern-day society, arts such as music and theatre are necessary for the entertainment and it helps everyone to make their lives as enjoyable. It can be seen that spending on the arts is not a waste of money.

Having considered both views, I think Government investment in public services are of overriding investment in arts. Also, I would suggest that Government to provide basic services related to food, electricity and education, which I believe is soundly based on the above reasoning I have presented.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
There has been much discussion revolving around the decision of how government money is invested in the arts and public services. (Although, I agree that it is important to spend money on public services, I do not think spending on the arts is a waste of money.) I take the position that spending public money on arts and the theatre is just as important as spending it on public services.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
I think you failed to answer the question, so I would spend a bit of time on that, like writing the introduction first and make your position very clear in the introduction.

Government investment in the arts, such as music and theatre, is a waste of money. Governments must invest this money in public services instead.

To what extent do you agree with this statement?

Try to understand what the question is asking. It is asking whether you think governments should spend money (tax income) on music and theatre.

Do you agree? (what are the positives and negatives)

Disagree?

Or agree with some reservations?

It is not asking whether governments should spend money on public services, like roads and hospitals. Therefore paragraph 2 is irrelevant. The question is not asking this.

Your paragraph 3 is more on topic.

Your conclusion states your opinion better. This should be clearer in the introduction.

The basic structure is:

Introduction - include where you stand on the topic

Paragraph 1 - support your opinion

Paragraph 2 - consider the other side

Conclusion - restate your opinion

Here is an idea of what I would write for an introduction:

There is much debate in society as to whether governments should spend taxpayers money on the arts like music and theatre. I believe it is important for governments to invest in the arts where possible, but I don't think it should be at the expense of investing in providing essential services like education and housing to people in need.

I would suggest writing the introduction first, post it here, then work on the rest of the essay.

Make sure you explain if you agree or disagree with the topic and make sure you have this clear in your mind first.

Reactions: Pritam21