• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

UP phrasal verbs - with example sentences

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
take up - start. I took up tennis last summer holidays.

give up - to quit. I gave up smoking after I got really sick.

make up - invent, lie about something. The story he told for being late was all made up.

show up - arrive, sometimes unexpectedly. He showed up to my party and I didn't even invite him.

set up - arrange, organize. You should arrive fifteen minutes before the meeting to set up your equipment.

keep up - continue at the same rate. I couldn't keep up with with the others when we went hiking, because I am so unfit.

blow up - explode, go viral. The video he took with his dog, blew up on Youtube.

get up - to get out of bed, wake up. I get up at about 7 am every day.

end up - eventually do or decide on something. We ended up staying home for the weekend because it was so cold.

pick up - to grasp a concept easily. He can pick up any new programming language in just a few days.

screw up - make a mistake (informal). My accountant screwed up my tax returns.

cheer up - make happier. We should help to cheer up mom, since she seems really down.

crack up - start laughing. I couldn't help cracking up when I watched that video.

hold up - wait. We were held up all morning because of heavy traffic.

Can you make your own sentences?