31 questions found on English Phrasal verbs

PreplyHomeEnglish

31 questions found with subject English

Subhrasankar
Subhrasankar
0likes
2answers

"Glued in" is this correct?

Can I write a poetic sentence like " The car is glued in the sand"?

0 people liked this question

Best answer from our tutor

James
James
English Tutor
English Tutor | Native and 32 Years in US

Hello Subhrasankar,

It is nice you are trying to use metaphors! Glue in isn't a common term and seems less commonly accepted. You could use another word although we understand your point. What comes to mind are:

"The car is stuck in the sand" "The car is buried in the sand" "The car is sticking out of the sand"

James

The answer is:

Subhrasankar
Subhrasankar
0likes
3answers

"Glued in" is this correct?

Can I write a poetic sentence like " The car is glued in the sand"?

Debbie
Debbie
English Tutor
IELTS EXAMINER for 7 years & 11 years teaching English online.

Hi.

This is a typical sample of what we refer to as colloquial language (used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary.) We have a similar saying, it's stuck like glue'.

Debbie

The answer is:

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Faraaz Transitive verbs transfer their action onto direct objects; intransitive verbs don’t. Phrasal Verbs follow the same rules Intransitive phrasal verbs have no direct object. “Look after” is a transitive phrasal verb Best Regards

The answer is:

Idk
Idk
0likes
4answers

synonyms for "taking for granted".

but not for its meaning, the second meaning "to value (something or someone) too lightly"

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Try these underestimate undervalue dismiss belittle put down disvalue write off denigrate

Best Regards

The answer is:

AMISHA
AMISHA
0likes
4answers

Michelle
Michelle
English Tutor
IELTS Coach🎓| Energetic Conversations🤗 | Job Interviews✔️ - 5 years experience 😎

Hi Amisha

There could be several answers to this question.

Do you have more information, a context or some options for this answer?

The grammar written in this question also seems to be slightly incorrect, could you just double check it as well?

The answer is:

Jeannie
Jeannie
2likes
2answers
2 people liked this question

Constantin
Constantin
English Tutor
Integrated Method | 16 years of experience

Hi there,

RETURN HOME = short trips RETURN BACK HOME = long journeys

Regards

The answer is:

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor

Hi Mohamed Please clarify your question or elaborate on your question by giving examples of what you mean. As is, it's a little vague. At least to me. Best Regards

The answer is:

Tomek
Tomek
0likes
5answers

What are the phrasal verbs with get?

I have seen there are more than one phrasal verbs with <<get>> in English, what are they?

Elena
Elena
Let's learn 🇮🇹ITALIAN 🇮🇹 together! Certified Polyglot Teacher, speaking 7 languages 🇷🇺🇵🇹🇩🇪🇫🇷🇧🇷🇪🇸.

The verb "to get" can have many meanings. Starting from "get up" as in, "In the morning I get up at 6." Or "get on" and "get off". I get on the train, when I board it, and I get off the train at my destination. Or "get back". As in "hey, Tom, call me when you get back from your trip!" Or "Get rid of" something. "I have so much stuff in my house I want to get rid of it, or throw it away." Or, to "get into something" as in, "Oh I don't have any money, I'm getting into financial trouble." Or, "get away with" something. As in, "I did a big mistake, but I got away with it." It means that in the end, it wasn't a big deal. Or "to get over something," as in, "me and my boyfriend broke up last month, I have to get over him" which means to forget him.

The answer is:

Mehul
Mehul
0likes
2answers

Paul
Paul
English Tutor
English teacher for 30+ years

Out?

The answer is:

Simon
Simon
English Tutor
Professional writer, speaker, coach, tutor and manager with 30 years' experience.

Got down is OK. Get is a very flexible verb. Bent down is also good; it describes what he did more precisely.

The answer is:

Still looking for help?

Try an expert online tutor. 1-on-1 lessons for every budget.

Tutor avatar
Tutor Avatar
Tutor country flag
English
$
per hour
15,488 lessons
Speaks:EnglishNative+5
Advanced TESOL Instructor with 12 years Teaching Experience, Midwestern American Accent and Pronunciation + Certified English / Spanish Medical Interpreter My over 150 reviews speak for themselves, but if you really want to take your English to the next level and are serious about cutting back on mistakes, and improving naturalness and efficiency, I am your guy! How will I help you? By Energizing Your English! My TESOL Certification Specializing in ...
$
per hour
Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

Community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online