• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Writing general task 1 - you discovered that you had left your hand luggage on the plane

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

Alexey

Jan 28, 2021
Hello, could you please leave your feedback? Thank you in advance.

Last Wednesday you flew from London to Vancouver. When you arrived at home, you discovered that you had left your hand luggage on the plane.

Write a letter to the airline. In your letter you should explain:

• where and when you lost your bag
  • what your bag looks like
  • what are contents were
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing this letter to ask you to help me to find my lost hand luggage.

Last Wednesday I flew from London to Vancouver on L118 and my seat was 25A. When I came to the plane I have put my handbag on the shelf above my seats. When the plane took off I have already fallen asleep because was very tired and it was a rather busy day for me. I slept a whole journey and the stewardess woke me up when all passengers already left the plane. I have harried up to leave the plane and totally forgot about my bag.

My bag is a leather black color with two pockets. The bag, besides some usual things which necessary for the business trip, like t-shirts, socks, and other things, contains very important it is a small gift for my wife and son.

I would be very appreciated if you let me know if you have my luggage and how can I able take it back. Please call me on my mobile phone or write an email.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours faithfully,
Alexey

Last edited by a moderator:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing this letter to ask you to help me to find my lost hand luggage.

Last Wednesday I flew from London to Vancouver on flight L118 and my seat was 25A. When I came to boarded the plane I have put my handbag on the shelf in the overhead bin above my seats. When the plane took off I have already fallen asleep because I was very tired and it was a rather busy day for me. I slept the whole journey and the stewardess flight attendant woke me up when all of the passengers had already left the plane. I have hurried up to leave the plane and totally forgot about my bag.

My bag is a leather black color with two pockets. The bag, besides some of the usual things which are necessary for the a business trip, like t-shirts, socks, and other things, it contains something very important to me, which is a small gift for my wife and son.

I would be very appreciated if you could let me know if you have my luggage and how can I able take get it back. Please call me on my mobile phone or write me an email.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours faithfully,
Alexey

Feedback

Overall a good job and you answered the question well.

People try to use non-gender specific words when talking about jobs, so you should be careful with that. Flight attendant instead of stewardess.

Police officer for example rather than policeman.

Overhead bin is one way to describe the place where you store your hand luggage on a flight. Other terms include: overhead compartment or luggage compartment.

On a train it would be called a luggage rack.