• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Writing general task 1

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

Alexey

Jan 28, 2021
Hello, could you please leave your feedback? Thank you in advance.

A restaurant has placed an advertisement for waiters and waitresses in your local newspaper.

Write a letter to the restaurant, applying for the job. In your letter:

• explain what you are currently doing
  • describe your suitability for this area of work
  • say when you can attend an interview
Good day Sir or Madam,

Yesterday, I had seen an advertisement in the newspaper “Washington Post” dated 25th November. There I have found that your restaurant is looking for staff for the position waiter or waitress and this job posting caught my attention.

I am studying a two years course at the university and I am working part-time as a waiter in a small restaurant. Therefore, I would like to find another part-time job with a better location for me. In my current job, as I wrote before, besides waiter's function I am responsible for the other functions like meeting guests and so on. I am a very peaceful person and enjoy dealing with people. My current employer would be happy to give me a reference if it needs.

I would be very happy if you will consider my candidature and invite me to the personal meeting, I am available in the evening time from 6 pm till 8 pm a whole week.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Alexey.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Good day Sir or Madam,

Yesterday, I had seen an advertisement in the newspaper “Washington Post” dated 25th November. There I have found that your restaurant is looking for staff for the position waiter or waitress and this job posting caught my attention.

I am currently studying a two years course at the university and I am working part-time as a waiter in a small restaurant. Therefore, I would like to find another part-time job with a better location for me. In my current job, as I wrote before, besides waiter's function I am responsible for the other functions like meeting guests and so on. I am a very peaceful person and enjoy dealing with people. My current employer would be happy to give me a reference if it needs is required.

I would be very happy if you will consider my candidature and invite me to the personal meeting for an interview, I am available in the evening time from 6 pm till 8 pm a whole week.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Alexey.

Feedback

The Washington Post is not really a local newspaper, so be careful with that. Maybe think of a local newspaper in your city if you want to give a newspaper's name, otherwise it is not important really.

Peaceful is not a great adjective to use when describing your suitability for a job. Things like 'hard working', 'a team player', 'honest' or 'reliable' would be some better things to say.

I would recommend Googling 'how to write a cover letter' and you will find many examples and instructions how to write this style of letter.

I hope this helps!