• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Writing task 2: People spend too much on family celebrations.

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:
People spend too much money on family celebrations such as birthdays and weddings. What is the importance of these celebrations? Do you think people really spend too much?

Answer:
Nowadays, there is an increasing trend to spend lavishly on family celebrations, such as wedding and birthday parties. Indeed, people try to make these celebrations memorable for their dear ones. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong in spending lavishly on such events if it's done willingly by family members to make the event more memorable for their loved one but if it is done out of societal pressure and to be accepted by a certain elite class of society then it becomes problematic.

Events, such as a wedding or an engagement, that happen once in a lifetime for most, are a very significant moment in the life of a person. Therefore, the family members of that person spend their hard earned money on that event to make it a pleasant memory that will remain etched in the mind of their loved one forever. Moreover, such events, also provide an opportunity for all family members to regroup and meet after a very long time. In my opinion, however, events, such as birthdays, which happen every year are not significant enough to warrant lavish spending on. Having said that, certain milestones, such as the 20th birthday, may be celebrated lavishly to make it more memorable. Spending a huge amount of money on an event that happens every year is wasteful, in my opinion, and could be spend on more worthy causes like feeding the poor etc.

An issue that needs to be addressed, nowadays, is the trend of throwing big parties, out of societal pressure, even if the family is finding it hard to make ends meet.
For example, a kid who wants to be accepted by his/her rich friends, urges his/her parents to throw a lavish party, and the parents out of affection for the child are forced to spend money on such an event. Moreover, excessive flaunting of wealth by the rich segments of society by showing off their lavish events on social media, adds to the problem. This is something that is detrimental to the society as a whole and unveils the inferiority complex in the poor segments of society.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that there is no harm in spending lavishly on family celebrations if it is done out of love for their dear one and not for flaunting wealth or out of compulsion to be accepted by the society.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Nowadays, there is an increasing trend to spend lavishly on family celebrations, such as weddings and birthday parties. Indeed, people try to make these celebrations memorable for their dear ones. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong in spending lavishly on such events if it is (I would tend to avoid contractions if possible) done willingly by family members to make the event more memorable for their loved one, but if it is done out of societal pressure and to be accepted by a certain elite class of society then it becomes problematic. (nice intro!)

Events, such as a weddings or an engagement, that happen once in a lifetime for most, are a very significant moment in the life of a person. Therefore, the family members of that person spend their hard earned money on that event to make it a pleasant memory that will remain etched in the mind of their loved one forever. Moreover, such events, also provide an opportunity for all family members to regroup and meet after a very long time. In my opinion, however, events, such as birthdays, which happen every year are not significant enough to warrant lavish spending on. Having said that, certain milestones, such as the 20th birthday, may be celebrated lavishly to make it more memorable. Spending a huge amount of money on an event that happens every year is wasteful, in my opinion, and could be spent on more worthy causes like feeding the poor etc. (I would avoid using etc)

An issue that needs to be addressed, nowadays, is the trend of throwing big parties, out of societal pressure, even if the family is finding it hard to make ends meet. For example, a kid who wants to be accepted by his or her rich friends, urges his/her parents to throw a lavish party, and the parents out of affection for the child are forced to spend money on such an event. Moreover, excessive flaunting of wealth by the rich segments of society by showing off their lavish events on social media, adds to the problem. This is something that is detrimental to the society as a whole and unveils the inferiority complex in the poor segments of society.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that there is no harm in spending lavishly on family celebrations if it is done out of love for their dear one and not for flaunting wealth or out of compulsion to be accepted by the society.

Feedback

Nice job overall. I would avoid contractions in the writing task. In the speaking section it is fine.

I have seen using etc described as 'lazy writing', so I would avoid that unless absolutely necessary.

I think this would score at least a 7 or 7.5. Well done.