• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Writing task 2: Should children learn a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school?

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:
Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school.
Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages?

Answer:
Some people are of the view that it is better for children to start learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school while others argue otherwise. In my opinion, I wholeheartedly agree with the view that children should begin learning a foreign language as early as possible, preferably during primary school.

Firstly, it is no secret that the ability to grasp new words or grammar or any new knowledge or skill during the early years of life is at its peak. Hence, it is logical to begin learning a new language during primary school rather than secondary school. Moreover, younger children show more interest in learning new things and put in more effort to master it. Whereas, older children are easily distracted by their other interests and hobbies which they have acquired over the years. Furthermore, communicating in a foreign language everyday from an earlier age, with peers and adults alike will help to master the language in all its forms, both formal and slang.

In addition to that, older children studying in secondary school have more burden of studies as they are studying subjects which are more complex and require undivided attention and dedication. In contrast, children studying in primary school are only expected to learn basic stuff and are, therefore, less likely to succumb to the pressure of learning a new foreign language from scratch. The only drawback of learning a foreign language at primary school is that the child may fail to learn his/her mother tongue masterfully and may mix up words of the foreign language into conversations done in his/her mother tongue, leading him/her to face difficulties and embarrassment while conversing in his/her mother tongue with people from his/her home country. Although, this issue can be rectified if they are corrected by their parents or guardians who are with them round the clock.

An example from my own experience is of my cousin who happens to live in Spain. He speaks both English and Spanish fluently as he was taught Spanish during primary school.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that the advantages of initiation of learning a foreign language from primary school rather than secondary school far outweigh its miniscule disadvantages. Hence, this should be implemented in schools throughout the world so that we may have many multilinguals around the world who are fluent in speaking more than one language.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Some people are of the view that it is better for children to start learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school while others argue otherwise. In my opinion, I wholeheartedly agree with the view that children should begin learning a foreign language as early as possible, preferably during primary school.

Firstly, it is no secret that the ability to grasp new words or grammar or any new knowledge or skill during the early years of life is at its peak. Hence, it is logical to begin learning a new language during primary school rather than secondary school. Moreover, younger children show more interest in learning new things and put in more effort to master it them. Whereas, older children are easily distracted by their other interests and hobbies which they have acquired over the years. Furthermore, communicating in a foreign language every day from an earlier age, with peers and adults alike will help to master the language in all its forms, both formal and slang.

In addition to that, older children studying in secondary school have more burden of studies as they are studying subjects which are more complex and require undivided attention and dedication. In contrast, children studying in primary school are only expected to learn basic stuff and are, therefore, less likely to succumb to the pressure of learning a new foreign language from scratch. The only drawback of learning a foreign language at primary school is that the child may fail to learn his/her mother tongue masterfully and may mix up words of the foreign language into conversations done said in his/her mother tongue, leading him/her to face difficulties and embarrassment while conversing in his/her mother tongue with people from his/her home country. Although, this issue can be rectified if they are corrected by their parents or guardians who are with them round the clock.

An example from my own experience is of my cousin who happens to live in Spain. He speaks both English and Spanish fluently as he was taught Spanish during primary school.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that the advantages of initiation of learning a foreign language from primary school rather than secondary school far outweigh its minuscule disadvantages. Hence, this should be implemented in schools throughout the world so that we may have many multilinguals around the world who are fluent in speaking more than one language.

Feedback

I would tend to use non-gender words such as "their" rather than his/her, which makes your text a little awkward to read.

Reactions: jedah