• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Writing task 2: Some people believe that the world's increase in population is unsustainable.

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:
Some people today believe that the world's increase in population is unsustainable and will eventually lead to a global crisis. Other people believe that world population increase is necessary and beneficial as it creates the growth of the world's economy and society.

Discuss both these views and give your opinion.

Answer:
Some people are concerned with the rapid growth of the world's population as they believe that the world's resources are finite and it will not be able to sustain this huge population boom. Others, however, believe that the growth of the world's economy is directly proportional to the growth of the world's population. In my opinion, I strongly believe that the increase in the world's population is detrimental to the society and will present my reasons in the following paragraphs.

Firstly, it is no secret that the the natural resources of the world are limited and just like anything that is limited, it is bound to run out. As the world's population increases at such a rapid rate the resources of the world are depleting at an equal and in some cases even higher rate leading to an increase in economic inequality across the world. Governments that govern countries with large populations are unable to feed their ever growing populations leading to a state of famine in such areas culminating in a humanitarian crisis like the one that is seen in Yemen. Moreover, increase in population also contributes to children being forced to work from an early age due to poverty and it results in large proportions of the population being illiterate. Illiteracy combined with poverty leads to an increased inclination towards criminal activities and unfair means of earning. And when such criminals are elected in the government, they destroy the country with corruption and a failed state is born. All of this is thanks to overpopulation.

People who think otherwise, usually cite examples of countries like India and China which are overpopulated but are economic superpowers or on the verge of becoming an economic superpower in the near future. They say that their large populations have contributed to this economic boom and, thus, an increase in the world's population should be encouraged. They fail to, however, consider the huge gap between the rich and poor in such countries and the fact that the majority continue to live in dire conditions.

To illustrate my point about the negative impact of the increase in the world population, countries in sub saharan Africa have some of the most rapid population growth rates but are some of the poorest countries in the world. On the other hand, widely regarded as the richest countries in the world, the Scandinavian countries have very low populations.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that the increase in the world's population has negative impacts on the society and economy of the world as a whole and needs to be addressed at the earliest to mitigate its effects.

Last edited:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Some people are concerned with the rapid growth of the world's population as they believe that the world's resources are finite and it will not be able to sustain this huge population boom. Others, however, believe that the growth of the world's economy is directly proportional to the growth of the world's population. In my opinion, I strongly believe that the increase in the world's population is detrimental to the society and will present my reasons in the following paragraphs.

Firstly, it is no secret that the natural resources of the world are limited and just like anything that is limited, it is they are bound to run out. As the world's population increases at such a rapid rate the resources of the world are depleting at an equal and in some cases even higher rate leading to an increase in economic inequality across the world. Governments that govern countries with large populations are unable to feed their ever-growing populations leading to a state of famine in such areas culminating in a humanitarian crisis like the one that is seen in Yemen. Moreover, an increase in population also contributes to children being forced to work from an early age due to poverty and it results in large proportions of the population being illiterate. Illiteracy combined with poverty leads to an increased inclination towards criminal activities and unfair(1) means of earning. And when such criminals are elected in the government, they destroy the country with corruption, and a failed state is born. All of this is thanks(2) to overpopulation.

People who think otherwise, usually cite examples of countries like India and China which are overpopulated but are economic superpowers or on the verge of becoming an economic superpower in the near future. They say that their large populations have contributed to this economic boom and, thus, an increase in the world's population should be encouraged. They fail to, however, consider the huge gap between the rich and poor in such countries and the fact that the majority continue to live in dire conditions.

To illustrate my point about the negative impact of the increase in the world population, countries in sub-Saharan Africa have some of the most rapid population growth rates but are some of the poorest countries in the world. On the other hand, widely regarded as the richest countries in the world, the Scandinavian countries have very low populations.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that the increase in the world's population has negative impacts on the society and economy of the world as a whole and needs to be addressed at the earliest to mitigate its effects.

Feedback

(1) It is not clear what you mean by "unfair" here.

(2) You could also say, this is "due" to overpopulation.

Reactions: jedah