PreplyHomeEnglishWriting task 2: Some people think sports play an important role in society
Rod
Rod

Writing task 2: Some people think sports play an important role in society

Some people think that sports play an important role in society. Others think they are nothing more than a leisure activity. Discuss both views and give your opinion. People have divided opinions on the importance of sports in society. Some people consider sports a leisure activity only, while others argue that sports play a vital role in society. In my opinion, sports have a significant role to play in a society and its impact on society is largely positive. Some people consider playing and watching sports as a means of spending leisure time with friends and family only. They believe that the importance that is attached to sports, nowadays, is exaggerated and sports should only be treated as light hearted fun among friends. They reason by claiming that sports have minimal impact on society and other occupations like doctors, engineers and lawyers are worth more and, therefore, the amount of attention that is garnered by sports and sportsmen should be diverted to these other professions that truly positively impact the society. Moreover, they do not consider any sports as worthy enough to be taken up as a profession because it is nothing more than a leisure activity in their eyes. Most people, however, acknowledge the important role that sports play in a society. Engaging in sports helps to build a sense of competition and work ethic from an early age. Team sports, in particular, help in improving team work and cooperation among teammates which is an important skill that will help an individual in the long run. Furthermore, sports serve to improve the health and fitness of a community, in general. For instance, proud sporting nations like Newzealand have a healthy and fit population due to the emphasis on sports in the country. Indeed, sports also serve as a means of uniting the masses in a country and igniting patriotism in the population. For instance, during a world tournament, like FIFA world cup, people of all ethnicities and races join together to celebrate a win. It is no secret that playing and watching sports is also a way to release stress and improve mental well being. These positive impacts of sports on society are a testament to the importance of sports in a society, although, some people continue to belittle its significance in a society. In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that sports have quite an important role in a society and its positive impact on people and society is widely evident throughout the world. Therefore, engagement in sports should be encouraged and facilitated by governments around the world.

2 people liked this question

3 Answers

3 from verified tutors
Oldest first

Leonah
Leonah
English Tutor
Experience - IELTS, OET, CAEL, CELPIP, TOEFL, CAE, FCE, C2, PTE, SAT, DIGITAL SAT, TOEIC, APTIS, GMAT, DUOLINGO. BUSINESS + TRAVEL ENGLISH, from BEGINNER

Hi Rod Your question is beyond the scope of this “Questions and Answers” page. For comprehensive explanations, book some lessons to benefit more. This page does not provide essay marking services. Sign up with me and I'll prepare you for IELTS and assess your writing. https://preply.com/en/tutor/90551/ Best Regards

The answer is:

Placement test

Find out your English level.

Take this 5-min test to see how close you are to achieving your language learning goals.

Cristyna
Cristyna
English Tutor
Professional and friendly TEFL certified Tutor invested in your success.

Hello, Your question is beyond the scope of this Q&A page. I recommend that you sign up with a Tutor to help you. Regards

The answer is:

Jennie
Jennie
English Tutor
Fun and effective English tutor with MA TESOL and 12 years of experience

Hi, Rod! Nice work sticking to the prompt instructions by exploring both points of view while also clearly stating your personal opinion.

I would advise revising this essay a couple of times in order to explore both language development as well as the delivery of your ideas. Working with a Preply tutor can be a great way to do this with expert guidance.

You might begin with these ideas:

• Create an outline for your essay with a clear thesis statement, main ideas and examples/support for your body paragraphs, and a concluding statement that restates your thesis. You have these details in your essay; however, some of your paragraphs could be focused more. Beginning with an outline can help you stick to your core structure. Also, it’s great to be able to create a quick outline when you’re in a testing situation. When you’re being timed, this is a way to keep your ideas organized and clear.
  • As you revise, you can also explore ways to paraphrase your own ideas and use synonyms to add more variety to your language choices. Doing this with various practice essays is a good way to further develop your written language level.

I suggest searching for a Preply tutor who specializes in both IELTS or TOEFL and writing development. You’ll find many great tutors to help guide you on Preply.com!

The answer is:

Still need help?

Find an online tutor for 1-on-1 lessons and master the knowledge you need! Prices from just $5 per hour.

Explore tutors

Feeling stuck?

Ask our expert tutors a question (it's free!)

English community experts

Click on a tutor to learn more about them

This-week

Learning Resources

Learn English Online