• If you would like to support our site, please subscribe to our Youtube channel. We are aiming to get 1,000 subscribers so it can start earning money English Forum on Youtube

Writing task 2: Some people think that the best way to increase road safety is to increase the minimum legal age for driving.

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:
Some people think that the best way to increase road safety is to increase the minimum legal age for driving cars and riding motorbikes.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Answer:

Some people believe that the most effective way to improve road safety is to increase the minimum legal age for driving vehicles. In my opinion, I disagree with this notion and believe that there are many other more effective ways to ensure road safety than increasing the legal age for driving. I will present my reasons in the following paragraphs.

Firstly, the minimum legal age for driving is 18 years in most countries around the world, which is quite a sober age, in my opinion, when one knows the difference between good and bad and is solely responsible for his own actions and their repercussions . Moreover, all driving licences are issued after a standard driving test that is to be passed regardless of the age of the applicant. Therefore, all those driving on the road have met the basic requirements that are expected of them to be driving. In other words, all those of minimum legal age know how to drive and are aware of all the rules of traffic. Besides that, I believe, from my own experience, that majority of reckless driving on the streets is committed by middle aged drivers so increasing the minimum legal age for driving would be of no use.

However, a better way to increase road safety would be by setting in place strict laws for driving and ensuring the implementation of these laws by the traffic police and punishing those who break these laws with heavy fines and by impounding their vehicles and revoking their licences if the offence is repeated multiple times. In addition to that, increased surveillance and monitoring of traffic through cameras should be done so that drivers are aware that they are being monitored at al times and do not break the law in fear of getting punished. In my opinion, these actions mentioned above are more likely to bear results in regards to enhancing road safety than the suggested change in minimum legal age for driving.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that increasing the legal minimum age for driving will serve no purpose and other steps, as mentioned above, need to be taken to increase road safety.

Last edited:

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Some people believe that the most effective way to improve road safety is to increase the minimum legal age for driving vehicles. In my opinion, I disagree with this notion and believe that there are many other more effective ways to ensure road safety than increasing the legal age for driving. I will present my reasons in the following paragraphs.

Firstly, the minimum legal age for driving is 18 years in most countries around the world, which is quite a sober(1) age, in my opinion, when one knows the difference between good and bad and is solely responsible for his own actions and their repercussions. Moreover, all driving licences are issued after a standard driving test that is to be passed regardless of the age of the applicant. Therefore, all those driving on the road have met the basic requirements that are expected of them to be driving. In other words, all those of minimum legal age know how to drive and are aware of all the rules of traffic rules. Besides that, I believe, from my own experience, that majority of reckless driving on the streets is committed by middle-aged drivers so increasing the minimum legal age for driving would be of no use.

However, a better way to increase road safety would be by setting in place strict laws for driving and ensuring the implementation of these laws by the traffic police and punishing those who break these laws with heavy fines and by impounding their vehicles and revoking their licences if the offence is repeated multiple times. In addition to that, increased surveillance and monitoring of traffic through cameras should be done so that drivers are aware that they are being monitored at all times and do not break the law in fear of getting punished. In my opinion, these actions mentioned above are more likely to bear results in regards to enhancing road safety than the suggested change in minimum legal age for driving.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that increasing the legal minimum age for driving will serve no purpose and other steps, as mentioned above, need to be taken to increase road safety.

Feedback

(1) I don't think sober is a good word here. I would say 'appropriate' is one word that you could use.

Good job overall. Your essay is well structured and you answered it well. I believe you should get a high 7 if not an 8 for the essay. Well done.

Reactions: jedah