Writing task 2:Some people think the newly built houses should be the same as the old housing styles in local areas.

Welcome to EnglishForum.com!
Are you ready to improve your English? Sign up free today!

jedah

Dec 28, 2020
Question:
Some people think the newly built houses should be the same as the old housing styles in local areas. Others argue that local authorities should allow people to build houses in their own style.

Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Answer:
Some people believe that uniformity of housing styles should be maintained in local areas while others believe that people should be allowed to build houses in their own style. In my opinion, people should be allowed to build houses in their own style according to their own preference.

Proponents of this idea, that newly built houses should be similar in style to the other houses in a locality, believe that preservation of local architecture and uniform style of building is necessary for maintaining the beauty and uniqueness of a locality. They argue that a modern style house will stick out like a sore thumb in a locality of old style houses. They believe that this will result in an ugly neighbourhood and will not look pleasing to the eye. Moreover, they are also concerned about the history that is conserved in these old styles of buildings. Some building styles and buildings themselves date back hundreds of years and are part of the history of a city and people fond of history prefer to conserve them. In my opinion, however, people should be free to build houses according to their own liking.

Firstly, people should be allowed to try modern innovative housing styles that can accommodate their way of living. For instance, modern smart houses with luxurious designs are the dream of many and, if someone is wealthy enough to build one, they should be allowed to do so regardless of the housing styles prevalent in the locality. Moreover, I believe, once the local authorities allow people to build according to their own preference the uniform old style of building would cease to exist and new modern localities will emerge which will be a positive development for the locality and the city. Some old buildings could be conserved, however, to allow people to appreciate the old styles of building houses.

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that local authorities should allow people to build houses according to their own preferred style and the modernization of localities should not be prevented in the guise of preserving the history and uniformity of a locality.

englishgeek

Sep 23, 2020
Good job, well done!

The only thing I would correct is the comma placement in the sentence "modern smart houses with luxurious designs are the dream of many and, if someone is wealthy enough to build one" I would put the comma after 'many'.

Another suggestion would be write a general statement in the introduction, before stating the topic, something like:

"As population grows around the word and demand increases for housing, it is becoming more difficult to preserve traditional building styles". And then you could restate the topic.

Another argument for using modern building styles is 'energy efficiency'.

Reactions: jedah